Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Steps

Adam has taken an occasional step here and there to get from one piece of furniture to the next (really it has been more of a lunging/lean to the next piece of furniture with his legs just following along). I have never really counted this as "stepping," but more along the lines of Adam just being Adam. More recently he has been working on his balance, frequently standing holding nothing for several minutes at a time. Today he decided to put it all together. Tay, Lisa, Adam and I were all playing in the kitchen (Adam loves to throw balls in there because they roll so far on the tile floor). Adam was standing holding on to the refrigerator, which was just between Lisa and I. He turned to face Lisa, pulled his hands off of the fridge and put his arms out in front of him to gain his balance. He had a look of seriousness and determination on his face that I really don't think I have ever seen. He had clearly decided he was going to walk. He took four very slow, determined steps (all with his arms straight out like a mummy). I can't emphasize enough how deliberate and thought out each movement appeared. He knew exactly what he wanted to do, and he did it. Lisa and I were both cheering and laughing. I got so choked up. I just can't believe it. My little man is walking!

2 comments:

Dean, Mel, Ben and Joey said...

are you KIDDING ME!!! Amazing. And oh boy are you screwed :)

mommy to an angel said...

Love your description...I can seriously picture it =}